No matter how high quality your replacement windows are, they won’t be energy efficient, effective or even safe if they’re not installed properly. You need to make sure your replacement windows are installed properly to keep your home safe and functioning. A proper Costa Mesa, CA window replacement is also crucial to keep your window’s warranty intact, as most manufacturers will not honor a warranty for a window that was installed incorrectly.
To stay ahead of your home’s safety, energy efficiency and beauty, and to be on top of your windows’ warranty, its important to know the warning signs of a bad window replacement installation. This way, you can make the bad contractor fix his or he mistake before you present the final check. Common warning signs include:
- Gaps – If a window is measured properly, it will fit perfectly in the window opening. If not, there will be gaps between the sill and the frame.
- Water Damage or Drafts – Water and air should not be able to get through your new windows. If you feel a draft, or see signs of water damage like pooling water, visible mold, bad smells, or bubbling paint or wallpaper, something is wrong.
- Poor Function – New windows should readily open and close. If your new windows were not measured or installed correctly, they won’t open or close as they should. Also, if you’re having trouble opening or closing your windows right after installation, it will only get worse as time goes on.
- Messy Caulking – Caulking around the exterior of a new window helps weatherproof and seal the window. The top and sides of your new window should have a visible, even layer of caulk. If the caulk is uneven, patchy, or messy, that’s a big red flag. Also, if you can see messy caulk, how many steps that you can’t see were messed up?
- Foggy Panes – Fog or condensation between window panes means the window seal is broken, or the window was improperly installed. If your window is brand new and the condensation can’t be removed by cleaning, the seal was broken during the installation. This is a big problem, as the window seal is a large part of the window’s energy efficient features.
If you see any of these warning signs, reach out to the original window contractor to see if they will fix their work. You can also contact a licensed window installer to remove the windows and reinstall them correctly.
The best way to avoid a bad window installation is to choose a quality contractor from the get go. Cunningham Doors & Windows is a reliable, trustworthy and high-quality business you can count on for good work. We offer a range of window replacement services in Costa Mesa, CA, and would be happy to help you choose and install new windows for your home. Please stop by our showroom, located at 1940 E Edinger Ave Santa Ana, CA 92705, to visit us in person. You can also give us a call at (714) 258-2500 for more information.