The summer is a great time to work on projects, especially those around the house. Looking for inspiration for summer maintenance? Work on your windows and shutters! You need your Costa Mesa, CA replacement windows to work well year-round, and that means doing some summer maintenance.
Get started this summer with these maintenance tips:
- Invest in New Windows – The best way to maintain your windows over the summer? Get rid of your old ones and invest in new ones! New windows are much more energy efficient than older models, so in addition to helping make sure you home is comfortable they will also help save you money in the long run. If you don’t have the budget to replace all your windows this summer, try replacing just the oldest ones. Though its preferable to replace all your windows at once, getting rid of the oldest ones will still have some benefits for your home and bank account.
- Replace Weather Stripping – Weather stripping helps keep the outside elements where they belong: outside. In turn, this helps make sure your home stays at a comfortable temperature without forcing your HVAC system to work too hard. But, since weather stripping is exposed to the elements, it does get damaged or worn out over time. Tear out the old weather stripping on your windows and replace it with new ones.
- Wash the Glass – Dirty window glass makes your home look dirty and old. Take advantage of the glorious summer weather to wash your windows. All you need is a bucket of mild soapy water, a clean cloth, a squeegee, and a bit of elbow grease. Don’t want to wash them yourself? Hire someone! You won’t regret making the investment.
- Clear Away Debris – Dirt, debris and other nastiness builds up on the windowsills of your windows throughout the year. And, when there’s debris in the sill, your window might not shut as tightly as it needs to, or even at all. In addition to creating a tighter seal, removing all the excess debris will make your windows look nicer. Clear away the debris from your windows with a broom, cloth, or duster and then wipe the sills clean.
- Watch for Water Damage – Water is one of windows’ greatest enemies. That’s why it’s important to take time thus summer to check the window seals all around your home for evidence of water damage, like mold, warping, cracking, or moisture. If you are proactive in checking your windows, you will be more likely to find any problems early on. If you find water damage, it’s time for replacement windows! If you find any leaks that haven’t caused damage yet, you may be able to caulk around the window to keep moisture out or potentially replace some of the framing around the window if that’s the issue.
The warm weather, bright sunshine, and overall happy summer feeling make even the toughest chores seem fun. These are just a few tips for maintaining your windows over the summer. Do you want more information on window maintenance or replacement windows in Costa Mesa, CA? Cunningham Doors & Windows is here to help. Call or visit us today.