Your kitchen is one of the hardest working rooms in your house. From cooking and cleaning to homework, housework, and just hanging out, you use your kitchen every single day. If you spend so much time in your kitchen, shouldn’t it be bright and airy? Brighten up your kitchen with these simple projects, like replacing the cabinets, painting it white, and adding replacement windows in Orange, CA.
Here are some simple projects you can do to brighten your kitchen:
- Install Replacement Windows – Adding windows to a kitchen might not be simple, but it does go a long way in making a kitchen airier and brighter. Consider any wasted wall space or corner areas where windows could butt up to each other to create a sunroom-style breakfast nook. You can also add a small garden window over your sink so you get lovely views while washing dishes and a great place to store small plants like herbs you can use in your cooking. If you can’t add new windows, try replacing your old windows with replacement windows. If you choose the right kind of window, like casement or picture, you’ll get lots more natural light in the space.
- Open Shelves – While not as practical as closed cabinets, open shelving can help make your kitchen feel much bigger and brighter. Adding floating shelves around your windows makes an even bigger difference. Do keep in mind, however, that open shelves need to stay clean and organized. In fact, it’s best to keep your prettiest plates, dishes, or other kitchen items on open shelves so they look nice. Keep it simple and uncluttered.
- Open the Door – If you have an entry door in your kitchen, replace it with a glass or multi-paneled door to bring in more natural light. A glass door will also allow you to get a better view of your yard so you can keep an eye on kids or pets. If you require privacy, you can add a shade to be used when needed.
- Light Up the Counters – Kitchen cabinets block a lot of light. A great way to counteract this is to add lights to the bottoms of your cabinets. These lights will light up your countertops, making it easier to cook and clean, and they will make your kitchen brighter. The same technique can be used inside glass-fronted cabinets to illuminate the contents and add drama.
- Add New Light Fixtures – Pendant lights over sinks and island add both style and light to a kitchen. You can choose classic coned shaped pendants or more dramatic oversized lanterns, depending on your home style and your preference.
- Paint it White – White kitchens are very popular right now as they make any kitchen feel brighter, cleaner, bigger, and more modern. There are tons of different shades of white you can choose from. You can also paint your kitchen cabinets white to complete your new look.