If you recently installed replacement windows on your Huntington Beach, CA home, you are most likely considering finishing them with some shutters. There are two main ways you can install shutters: inside mounts or outside mounts. Inside mounted shutters fit inside a window opening’s recessed depth, while outside mounted shutters attach to the wall or trim surrounding the window opening.
You might want to consider outside mounting shutters for your replacement windows as outside mounts offer a wide range of home benefits such as:
- Easier Installation – The outside mount installation method is much more forgiving in terms of accurate measurements, ease of installation, and room for error. You can easily get custom shutters for any window and have them installed in an outside mount style with great success.
- Hiding Imperfections – Most windows aren’t perfectly square or level. Outside mounted shutters hide any variances in the window opening shape for a cleaner and more streamlined look. You can also cover up old trim by simply installing an outside mounted shutter frame or hide away any window imperfection without having to pull out caulk, shims or other annoying home improvement tools.
- Extended Depth – Outside mount shutters are ideal for windows with no recess depth, as their frame pushes the shutter panel out into the outdoors or room, thereby giving more clearance for the slats to be fully operational without hitting the window glass or another obstacle.
- Avoid Obstacles – Many windows have accessories like alarm sensors or crank handles that can be obstructed by inside mount windows. These accessories are especially common on patio doors and casement windows. An inside mount can prevent you from turning the crank to open a casement window or pulling a door handle to open your sliding patio doors. Keep your existing accessories by choosing an outside mount.
- French Door Coverage – French doors are usually built with the glass flush to the door itself, making it nearly impossible to install inside mount shutters. Outside mount shutters are much better for French doors.
- Tilt Function – Inside mounted shutters block any tilt-in window function, while outside mounts do not. You want your windows to tilt in to make cleaning easier. With outside mounted shutters, simply open the shutter panel to have full access to your tilting window.
- Reduce Light Blockage – Inside mount shutters can cover up too much of a window opening on short or narrow windows, as the frame, solid top, bottom rails and vertical stiles take up a lot of space and therefore block a lot of light. Outside mount shutters are ideal for smaller windows as they don’t block any of the window area unless they’re closed.
Do you want to learn more about inside and outside mount shutters, or would you like more guidance Huntington Beach, CA replacement windows? Just reach out to Cunningham Doors & Windows. You can visit us at 1940 E Edinger Ave Santa Ana, CA 92705 or give us a call at (714) 258-2500 today.