Energy efficiency is important, even in sunny Tustin, CA. If you’re looking for replacement windows and doors for your Tustin, CA home, count on Energy Star to guide you to the most energy efficient options.
Energy Star is a United Stated Environmental Protection Agency, or EPA, program that helps home and business owners save money, and the environment, through energy efficiency programs, information and technological advancements.
Energy Star rates and tests different window and door products to find the most energy efficient options, so homeowners like you don’t have to do the legwork.
The following criteria must be met for a window or door system to get an Energy Star rating:
- Be made by an Energy Star manufacturing partner
- Pass independent testing by the National Fenestration Rating Council, or NFRC and receive certifications and verifications
- Receive NFRC ratings that meet the EPA’s energy efficient guidelines
While there aren’t and specific construction or technology requirements for Energy Star windows and doors, a lot of them have some features in common like:
- Quality Materials – Certain frame materials like wood and vinyl make more energy efficient products than others as they are tougher against weather and reduce heat transfer.
- Low-E Glass – Low-E glass is coated with a transparent film to reflect infrared light back outside to keep your home cool without over working your air conditioning system.
- Spacers – Spacers keep dual or triple paned glass panels the proper distance apart for effective insulation and noise reduction. Most Energy Star energy efficient windows and doors have non-metallic spacers in the glass as they have low conduction rates.
So what does all this mean for Tustin, CA?
Energy Star rates and categorizes energy efficient window and door ratings by climate zone so you can easily find the best options for your region. The zones are Northern, North Central, South Central and Southern. Climate has a big difference on energy efficiency, as some climates need windows that keep homes warm, while others need windows that keep homes cool.
Tustin, CA is in the South Central zone. Energy Star recommends energy efficient windows with the following rating for the South Central zone:
- U-Factor of 0.30 or less
- SHGC of 0.25 or less
Energy Star also recommends the following ratings for energy efficient skylights and doors in Tustin:
- Skylights U-Factor of 0.53 or less
- Skylights SHGC of 0.28 or less
- Opaque Doors (no glass) U-Factor of 0.17 or less
- Light Doors (50% glass) U-Factor 0.25 or less
- Full-Lite Doors (more than 50% glass) U-Factor 0.3 or less
Count on Energy Star to guide you to the most energy efficient replacement windows and doors for your home. Cunningham Doors & Windows, located at 1940 E Edinger Ave Santa Ana, CA 92705, can also help you choose the best Tustin, CA replacement windows and doors to save you money on energy and do your part for the environment. Give us a call at (714) 258-2500 to learn more about how we can help you and your home.